Sunday, November 15, 2009

Why does miraglegrow mold in house plants???

i have several house plants and two of them have been growing mold in the soil. i have cleaned it out and it just comes back!!! Does anyone know why?? or how to prevent this???

Why does miraglegrow mold in house plants???
Hi,





How many plants did you use the MiracleGrow on?


You say only two got mold?


I had a similar problem when I was in AZ . There were only two plants and both got mold.





My guess is I was killing them with kindness and watering them too much. Don't think the MiracleGrow had anything to do with it.





I continued to use the MiracleGrow but cut down the watering to Once a week and then only a limited amount. No more mold problem.





I am interested what others say so I will be watching for other answers too.





Good luck,





!!!!!!!!!Ok this thing has my attention!!!!!!!!!!!!!





I could not stop thinking about the mold problem so I called Scotts Products (makers of MiracleGrow).





They said the MiracleGrow would not cause the mold but too much water would. They suggest you use a moisture senser and water the plant according to the type of plant. Also the soil in some plants may be more compact than the soil in other plants in your house and the water will remain in the more packed soils longer. This could cause mold.


Most indoor plants need a "drying out" period between waterings





I really like MiracleGrow, it makes plants grow like crazy, and am relieved to find out it did not cause the mold in my plants soil.





Guess my first instinct was right after all.





Hope this helps,





Bob
Reply:I lost my mind and bought a small box of Miracle Grow. Used it a couple times on 3 different house plants. Those 3 got soil mold. Only those 3. Threw the wretched stuff away after that. Have since got the problem resolved (replanted) and haven't had any trouble since.


No comments:

Post a Comment